Friday, May 16, 2014

Guest Post: How Fitness Has Impacted My Bipolar Disorder

How Fitness Has Impacted My Bipolar Disorder
 
 
It's interesting thinking back to all the times when my bipolar was unstable. There are many reasons why I cycle one way or another (mania or depression), but the biggest factor (in my experience) has been my nutrition/fitness.

 Here's a little bit of background on my disorder:
·         I currently take Zoloft and Vyvanse daily. I have taken almost every medication on the market, but this is what works for me right now.
·         My medications help me to function and focus, which helps me to have the energy to exercise.
·         I take various supplements through Herbalife and Delta Labs. Some of the ones that are specifically for my mental health are fish oil (Herbalifeline), rice bran oil (Femestra with Delta Labs for hormonal imbalance), and a couple for focus (Total Control with Herbalife and Green Tea+ with Delta Labs).
·         My disorder affects everyone in my life, not just me. For example, my boyfriend (whom I live with) sees my mood go up and down every day, and is always the one who takes the "hit" when I am upset or depressed. He also has to deal with my mania when I am up until 4 a.m. He is extremely supportive, and he actually helps me to be more cautious of those around me.

When I am feeling manic, cardio is the best thing for me. I have a lot of energy, and usually have difficulty relaxing and sleeping, so it's important to get my heart rate up. This way, I get rid of the energy and I am able to sleep. Plus it's awesome, because I am able to stay fit! As opposed to depression, when it's nearly impossible for me to exercise.
This is where yoga comes in.
 
Yoga has been a life-saver for me! How I got through life without it, I have no idea. I tried yoga for my first time last year (2013), and not only did I feel great physically, I felt great mentally. The yoga I do is perfect because I am able to go to a "happy place" mentally, but also get my sweat on. Because of this, it's good for when I am depressed OR manic!
How Yoga Has Helped My Bipolar:
So I stated what fitness I like to do for bipolar, but I'll get a little more vulnerable with how it's helped me. I've been doing yoga recently and truly found a passion for it, so that's my fitness of choice. I know for many people with bipolar, yoga isn't enough- they need that fast-paced cardio. But for me, it's perfect, no matter the mental state I'm in.
Since starting yoga, my moods have been more stable. Usually I am extreme one way or the other, but it's sort of like yoga is my daily way to stay within the "normal" range (whatever normal is for you). When I start my day with yoga, I have a fabulous day! I feel calm, centered, happy, and clear. I feel awesome because I got my exercise in, but I also feel awesome because my mind feels clear and free.
 
By adding in yoga with a healthy diet, I have learned to better control and manage my bipolar disorder. It's a difficult disorder to manage, but I cannot stress enough how important nutrition and fitness are for overall, optimal health.
1.    What is your favorite fitness?
2.    Have you noticed a change in your mental health through your healthy, active lifestyle?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment