Thursday, April 12, 2012

Beachbody... on Bedrest?

Yes, it is possible to still work on getting your "Beachbody" when you are pregnant... but what about when you are told to stay in bed and rest? Being bedridden you cant do any exercises, so there is nothing you can do... right?

I was doing Insanity when I found out about my pregnancy. I was 6 weeks into the program and found out I was 4 weeks pregnant. I was truely heart broken that I had to stop doing Insanity so I bought a new program from Beachbody and was doing that. It's called "Yoga Booty Ballet : Baby on the Way." Great program for women who want to do a bit of both Yoga and some light Cardio. Nothing strenuous, nothing high impact, nothing crazy.

A few weeks into that, I was told by the doctor that I had to "take it easy." No "intamacy", no exercise, no nothing... as a mom of two small children... this really isnt something that is possible. Bedrest for me seemed like the end of the world.. I honestly did NOT know what I was going to do. I have always been someone who is constantly doing something.

I decided that I would do the bare minimum around the house and just make sure the kids were fed and taken care of, make sure that laundry didnt get too backed up, and make sure that dishes didnt take over the kitchen. This was, on most days, easier said then done... I will say that I have been sitting and resting a lot more (hence the journaling, blogging, and crazy amount of FB time...), but there are things that just have to get done and my husband isnt home enough to do it all.

Anyways, After about 10 minutes of bedrest... I started looking for ways to stay fit while on bedrest and have honestly done decent at doing so. To explain this a little farther, let me first tell you about my last two pregnancies. When my son was born, I had DOUBLED my weight. That is gaining over 120 lbs in 9 months!! When my daughter was born, I didnt double my weight, but I didnt gain a healthy amount either... I only gained about 95 lbs in the 9 months. I'm 33 weeks and 6 days pregnant and am currently sitting right at 150 lbs... that is only 30 lbs over my normal pre-pregnancy weight.

Here's how I stayed FIT during bedrest.
  • I got permission from my doctor to be on something called "Modified bedrest", meaning if my pulse went over a certain number I had to sit down and wait for it to relax. At first this was really easy but as my pregnancy progressed, my RHR went up. I was allowed to get up and clean a lot more which meant I was staying at least partially active.
  • Because I wasnt burning as many calories, I had to start watching what I was eating slightly more while still making sure to get the nutrients and vitamins I needed.
    • One way I did this was by drinking Shakeology for breakfast most every day. Since this is a lower calorie meal replacement shake with more nutrients then I would get by eating all my fruits and veggies for the day, this was approved and strongly supported by my doctor. I drank Shakeology itself as a replacement for my prenatals during the first and part of the second trimester because the pills made me so sick.
    • Ate healthier food and added more fruits and vegetables to my diet. Also cut a LOT of sugar out of my diet. I have always had a soft spot for cokes and junk food, now I eat way less and am down to one Pepsi a day.
    • I use an app on my phone, tablet, and computer that all sync together to log the things that I eat so I know I'm getting the nutrients that are needed for my health.
  • After I was able to take the prenatal pills, I started taking them daily. I also took an additional B6, Calcium, and Folate pill.
Most people will tell you that when you workout and eat crap, you are defeating the purpose of working out. The only way to be successful with your workouts is to first devise a HEALTH plan. You can workout 3 times a day, but if you are eating crap, you are only hurting yourself. Step one to loosing weight is changing your diet... If you are on bedrest, what better time to start a newer healthier lifestyle then when it's most important for you and your unborn child!

No comments:

Post a Comment