Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Let's do the Twist


Back in the 1960s, this was a popular song. Even though I was born well after the 60s, I know all the words (compliments of my parents)! But we're not talking about the song. We're talking about exercise. All exercises work in at least one or two plane of motion, the Saggital (back to front motions) and Frontal (side to side motions) planes. Unfortunately, there is a plane that is getting overlooked; the transverse (rotational or twisting) plane. Overlooking exercises that work in the transverse plane can lead to muscle imbalances and joint dysfunction ultimately leading to injury.

I recently read in a magazine called "The Training Edge" about covering all planes of motion in regular exercise routines, including the transverse. I am often finding that I forget about the transverse plane. "Whether it's for daily activities or sports, you move in the transverse plane. People get injured trying to eccentrically decelerate transverse motion." A quote by Brent Brookbush, MS, NASM-CPT, CES, PES, president of B2C Fitness in New York, and author of Fitness or Fiction: The Truth about Diet and Exercise.

An example of eccentric movement in your daily life is turning and picking up something on the counter. I do this when washing dishes, I dont walk sideways to pick up the pot. I rotate my upper body, moving it in the transverse plane, and pick up a dish to wash, then rotate back to the original position. Even then I rotate again to move it to rinse, and again to set it to dry. 

Exercises in the transverse plane will be similar in motion to those we use in our daily lives. It will strengthen weaken, often neglected muscles, which may lead to injury prevention.

Exercises recommended by Brookbush:

Ø  Lower Body - Progress to rotational lunges and step-ups.

Ø  Core - Target through static chop patterns or cable rotations.

Ø  Upper Body - Train with moves such as push-ups, bench presses, and chest and reverse flies.

So, next time you workout, through on some Chubby Checker and "Let's do the Twist"!


No comments:

Post a Comment